Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Grounded at Home

HFMD - These 4 alphas spells trouble to me. Hand Foot Mouth disease is highly contagious.

Monday morning's routine temperature check @ Chloe's school detected a high temperature. Chloe was sent home immediately. Following that, I brought her to the doc to verify. Ulcers were found in her mouth. There were tiny dots on parts of her palms & toes. She was given a gel to apply & instructed to take paracetomol to bring down her fever. From then on, her condition got worse. She refused lunch & water & gradually her favourite milk. More dots were found on her limbs & she is very irritable & refused to open her mouth for us. Her condition was confirmed on Tuesday morning when I brought her for a review again.

It's exhausting for all of us at home, trying to separate the 2 kids. Chloe is whiny & will cry nonstop if we were to coax her to down anything down her throat. Icy cold watermelon, gummy, ice-cream, ribena, yogurt drink. We gave her everything we can think of. But she survived on merely 160ml of formula milk yesterday. The last thing I want is to hospitalise her if she is dyhydrated.

Luckily, I managed to give her 2 milk feeds comprising of about 120ml each since morning. Swallowing & eating is still an agonising task for her.

I really hope after the initial 2 days of severe discomfort, my poor girl's condition will improve gradually by tomorrow. I pray that all will be well at home.

No comments: